Minority Seminar 2020: Curriculums for Social Justice
May 6-8, 2020 at Åbo Akademi University, Vaasa, Finland
The minority research profile at Åbo Akademi University invites you to its fifth annual seminar that will take place in Vaasa, Finland from May 6th to 8th, 2020. The 2020 theme is “Curriculums for Social Justice” with the aim to collectively discuss how to develop justice-oriented pedagogies. With permeating signs of racism, harassment and violence, as well as increasing social inequalities both locally and globally, there is a need to reflect on the role of education in relation to social justice.
Social justice is not restricted to questions of material deprivation or differences in income, but also considers other aspects of social life, such as cultures, identities, environments and epistemologies. There is a need for reflection on how we – as educators, researchers, students, activists, and most importantly, human beings – can consider these burning and often controversial topics.
The theme of the seminar implies the salience of diverse voices and perspectives, thus we have chosen not to set predetermined subthemes. The working groups will be formed based on the submissions received. With that said, the following topics may act as inspiration:
- Educational materials for critical pedagogies
- Student and staff activism
- Decolonial approaches to education
- Peace education
- Teaching as resistance
- Culturally and linguistically responsive teaching
- Teaching and learning in global contexts
- Educational governance and advocacy
- Hegemonic struggles within education
- Minority, identities and intersectionality
- Voices and values within education and curriculum development
- Differentiation and social justice: special education, students with disabilities, gifted students, vocational students, immigrant students, refugee students, and trauma-informed practice
Confirmed keynote speakers at the seminar are:
Vanessa Andreotti (University of British Columbia),
Audrey Bryan (Dublin City University),
Nancy Commins & Kara Viesca (University of Colorado, Denver & University of Nebraska, Lincoln, joint keynote),
Pigga Keskitalo (University of Lapland),
Mariana Souto-Manning (Teachers College, Columbia University),
Greg Wiggan (University of North Carolina, Charlotte)
Guide for contributors:
The seminar approaches education from a multidisciplinary perspective. We welcome contributions relating to all levels and forms of education, and from researchers at different career stages. The deadline to submit abstracts is September 31st, 2019. Presentations can take the following forms:
– Paper presentation: 20 minute presentation + 10 minutes for discussion
– Poster presentation: Informal presentation in the lobby area of the conference venue
For both types of presentations, the abstract should be max. 300 words in length. When submitting your abstract, please indicate which type of presentation you are interested in. To submit your abstract, please click on the following link: https://survey.abo.fi/lomakkeet/11605/lomake.html
Deadline for submission: September 30, 2019
Notification of acceptance: December 1, 2019
Deadline for registration: March 31, 2020
Basic registration fee*: €60,00
Student registration fee**: €30,00
Optional seminar dinner: €50,00
The registration fee covers lunch and coffee breaks each day of the seminar.
* The basic registration fee is for researchers, PhD students as well as others in working life. In case you are currently unemployed or without funding, please contact the organizers for the possibility of a discount.
** “Student” refers to students at bachelor or master level.
We look forward to seeing you at the Vaasa campus of Åbo Akademi University, Finland.
For any enquiries, please contact: email@example.com